Tuesday, January 20, 2015

luxury beer - a new trend?

I came across this video about "luxury beer" on CNN the other day.

http://money.cnn.com/video/luxury/2014/11/20/luxury-beer.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_Highlight

Naturally, I was intrigued. the report was a bit disappointing in that the three beers they tasted didn't seem to be overly luxurious, but the intention was good. And it got me thinking about what it means to be a "luxury" beer. Exclusivity, quality, and price are all factors, I suppose. In that order? I don't know. I do know that I have spent significantly more than $35 on a bottle on more than one occasion, although in Barcelona I may have only done it once or twice (once at the Drunk Monk I believe, and once at Cerveteca). In both cases it was what I would describe as a luxury item. But for the most part, the vast majority of the craft brew movement both here in Catalonia and around Spain (and most likely in the rest of the world) has been dedicated to making good, quality beers accessible.

The infinite possibilities of brewing, including but not limited to strange ingredients, using massive hops or high alcohol content, makes it a perfect playground for the beer enthusiast. And while I love to experiment myself (both as a home brewer and in tasting), I try to keep in mind that the whole reason behind this all is a love of good beer. It's more than okay to experiment, or to spend a few extra euros on beer for that special occasion, But spending money just to do so is not my style. that said, with the ample new selections available in Barcelona, and the increasing popularity of craft brews among the general culture, we are not lacking for options. And I am looking forward to trying as many of them as I can.

No comments: